Basic Tenets of Human Error
Some basic points to keep in mind as we discuss the etiology of errors:
- Everyone commits errors
- Human error is generally the result of circumstances beyond the control of those committing the errors
- Systems or processes that depend on perfect human performance are inherently flawed
There are multiple reasons that human error occurs. These include:
- Communication failure
- Lack of effective training
- Memory lapse
- Poorly designed equipment
- Exhaustion, fatigue
- Noisy working conditions
- Other personal and environmental factors
Click on the images below for examples.
Can you think of examples where these factors have contributed to error in your own work environment?