What is QI?
Quality Improvement is a formal approach to the analysis of performance and systematic efforts to improve it. There are numerous models used. Some commonly discussed include:
- Six Sigma (DMAIC)
- CQI: Continuous Quality Improvement
- TQM: Total Quality Management
These models are all means to get at the same thing: Improvement. They are forms of ongoing effort to make performance better.
- In industry, quality efforts focus on topics like product failures or work-related injuries.
- In administration, one can think of increasing efficiency or reducing re-work.
- In medical practice, the focus is on reducing medical errors and needless morbidity and mortality.
The first 3 models will be discussed in this module. For information on the other two, please select the relevant links above.